Sandra Deacon is qualified to carry out non-contentious probate work and is authorised and regulated by the ICAEW for probate services.
Probate is a complex area that is required in a lot of situations when someone dies. Deacon’s is able to provide assistance with this process and by having a detailed knowledge of you and your business, we are often better placed to deal with your affairs than perhaps solicitors who may only see you at the point of drawing up a Will.
We can either assist the appointed Executor(s) or take on this role if authorised by the Estate. Unlike many firms of solicitors, our fees will not be based on a percentage of the Estate. Instead, our fees are calculated on the basis of the time spent on your affairs.
It typically takes between 6 and 12 months to obtain a grant of probate. However, where the Estate does not require an inheritance return to be submitted, the process will be much quicker as HM Revenue & Customs may take up to 12 weeks to review the return. The timescales may be affected by matters such as:
- Collating all the relevant information about the Estate which can be more challenging if the Deceased did not keep details records of their assets;
- Ensuring that all Executors are happy to carry out their responsibilities (as if they wish to renounce, this can add time to the process) and have adequate time available to do so.
- Identifying and communicating with the beneficiaries of the Estate.
- Liaising with other external advisers, such as valuers, estate agents, accountants and financial advisers.
- Where the Estate includes land and property, this tends to increase the timescales for the process.
- If there are overseas assets, these can also extend the timescales.